Polka dots are like cilantro. You either love it, or you hate it. There is no in between. Visions of Minnie Mouse, kitschy throwbacks, and itsy bitsy yellow polka dot bikinis have skewed the classic print into a category labeled: unwearable. However, after this season’s runway, I find myself taking a double take at the dots.
Reigning fashion champs like Dior, Self-Portrait, and Jason Wu ushered fresh iterations of statement tops, ruffled dresses, and swing skirts that are swaying me to the spotted side. You can’t take one scroll on Instagram without seeing the trend’s growing reach. So, will you polka with me this summer?
Here are my sure fire ways to pull off the trend this go-around:
- Tuck a white button cleanly into a polka dot skirt. A simple crop top is also a home run.
- Pair retro white sunglasses or white boots with a dotted dress
- Classic denim is the perfect accompaniment with a spotted statement top
- Pointed toe kitten heals are all the rage thanks to Christian Dior. The classic silhouette works great with your polka dot look. If that feels too dressed up for you, a minimalist sandal is your go-to.
- Straw bags are an unexpected way to keep the outfit light and in season
- Oversized spots, thanks to Jacquemus, feel new
- If wearing the trend out in about is too much for you, opt for a vintage inspired polka dot swim suit
- I’m partial to keeping the print red, black, navy, or white. Let’s not get crazy here friends.
Shop my faves below!